She writes again! Okay, all y'all remember how I said I wanted to attempt to write another fiction book called Keeping Secrets? Remember how I posted a synopsis and said I working on all the preliminary research junk?
Okay, well I've completely changed the secret to something totally different than what I had originally thought of. The secret was just too complex and I was unsure of how to approach it and write about it in an interesting way. (And no I'm not telling you what it was! Forget it ever existed.)
My new secret really changes the vibe of the book and I think will be easier to write about, while at the same time, sustaining the reader's interest. I just finished writing it all out in detail and now I'm really stoked to dive in and start writing.
I have more prep work to do first though. I haven't finished my character profiles and I need to set up a kind of time line to follow... I'm aiming to write less than 500 pages, but more than 300 pages. To put that into perspective, 'Losing It' was only 169 pages after I formatted everything correctly: size 10 font on a 4.25 X 6.89 page.
I was really aiming for 200 pages... oh well. The story has a beginning, a middle, and an end and that's all that matters.
Also, I signed up for a creative writing course to do through correspondence. Ever heard of Stratford Career Institute? Yeah, me neither.
It's like a $600 course that you can complete in 6 months, or if you want, take up to 2 years to finish depending on how fast you work, but the goal is to complete it in a year I think. They're based in Quebec. They offer all sorts of courses!
I've always wanted to take a writing course, but the timing for me was always off and regular universities and colleges are both too expensive, even to do through correspondence. SCI is really cheap and I feel as though it's a good compromise. It doesn't matter to me that it's not the best because truthfully I don't want to invest that much money into it. I think it's a good way to refine my skills without spending too much. It's not like I'm trying to make a career out of this!

No comments:
Post a Comment